Girl-Kind North East
Since 2016 Sarah Ralph has organised workshops and events for young women from local schools, using media and creative arts as a means of exploring and expressing various aspects of girls' experiences of growing up in the North East region.
In 2017 and 2018, Sarah collaborated with Sarah Winkler-Reid (Newcastle University) on an Economic and Social and Research Council (ESRC) funded project working with young women from local schools to explore the challenges they face and celebrate their achievements. The project involved a series of school-based workshops and a celebratory event co-produced with the girls and coinciding with UN International Day of the Girl (11th October). Around 100 girls were involved in the 2018 project from across Tyne and Wear, County Durham and Teesside.
For several years Steve Jones and Johnny Walker have been involved in a project headed by fellow Northumbria colleague Russ Hunter. The project involves providing educational materials at international Film Festivals, based on our research. To-date, we provided contextual introductions to various films, and have presented full public lectures on our work at Offscreen (Brussels), Abertoir (Aberystwyth), and Kurja Polt (Slovenia). We have also interviewed industry professionals such as horror film director Frank Henenlotter, and cult star Christina Lindberg as part of these festival programmes.
Steve's research has also been translated into Slovenian, and published in Kino! journal. For more information, read the blog post here
In addition, Steve works with Italian horror production company Necrostorm, providing English language adaption for their scripts and online materials. For example, in 2017 he adapted the script for Hotel Inferno II: Cathedral of Pain (2017). He is currently working on the forthcoming releases Little Necro Red and Hotel Inferno III.
Roger Domeneghetti remains an active journalist. He is the north east football correspondent for the Morning Star newspaper. He also writes on sport, politics and the media for a range of publications. Roger has also been a guest panelist discussing the sport and the media at events such as The Northern Conversation: Whose Football Is It? in 2016, the Humber Mouth Literature Festival in 2015, and the Leeds Big Book End in 2014.
Research in the Public Sphere
- Steve Jones presented his research on Hardcore Horror at Offscreen Film Festival in Brussels
- Sarah Ralph has written (along with Sarah Winkler-Reid) on growing up as a girl in the North East and the Girl-Kind project for The Conversation.
- Steve Jones presented his research on the slasher film at Abertoir Film Festival
- Steve Jones has been interviewed about cult film for Slovenian National television news
- Steve Jones has been interviewed about contemporary American revenge films for Slovenian national radio
- Steve Jones presented on his research and hosted a Masterclass with filmmaker Fabrice du Welz at Kurja Polt Film festival in Ljubljana.
- Roger Domeneghetti has written on illegal streaming of Premier League matches for The Conversation.
- Roger Domeneghetti has been a guest on BBC Radio London Sunday sports show.
- Steve Jones and Johnny Walker (along with our colleague Russ Hunter) co-host a public-facing podcast entitled The Horror Lab.
- Steve Jones has been interviewed on space-based horror films, adaptations of Stephen King's novels, and race in horror films for iNews.
- Gabriel Moreno-Esparza has written on Jon Snow and impartiality for The Conversation.
- Sarah Ralph has written on the new Doctor Who, gender on screen, and potential role models for girls for Contact magazine.
- Sarah Ralph has been interviewed about the Girl-Kind North East project by Lisa Shaw for BBC Radio Newcastle.
- Johnny Walker has been interviewed on Halloween (1978) for iNews.