Talks & Conference Papers
Below is a list of recent keynote addresses, conference papers and invited talks delivered by our team
- Sarah Ralph (2019) with Dr Mel Gibson ‘What’s Your Worry?’ Using historical media artefacts to discuss girlhood with contemporary girls, IAMHIST Conference, Newcastle.
- Steve Jones (2019) "Done to Death: The Slasher Cycle", invited public lecture, Kurja Polt Film Festival, Slovenia.
- Steve Jones (2018) "Cut And Run: An Introduction to the Slasher Film", invited public lecture, Abertoir Film Festival.
- Sarah Ralph (2018) Depth of Field: The Impact and Value of an all-female space at the Young Women's Film Academy (with Clara Shield), CAMEo Care in the Media and Cultural Industries, Leicester.
- Sarah Ralph (2018) 'Motherhood and Monsters: Audience recollections of 'Ripley-as-mother'', Researching Past Cinema Audiences conference, Aberystwyth University.
- Johnny Walker (2018) 'Transnational Splatter Cinema and the Birth of the "Shot on Video" Horror Movie', Society for Cinema and Media Studies annual conference, Toronto.
- Sarah Ralph (2018) 'Shared Pleasures? Watching Game of Thrones 'as a couple' MeCCSA conference, London.
- Sarah Bowman (2017) “Creativity in Public Relations”, 19th Annual Congress of EUPRERA, London.
- Roger Domeneghetti (2017) "Dumbs Gone to Iceland: Tabloid Representations of the England Football Team and English National Identity during Euro 2016", 2nd Annual Conference of The Football Collective, Limerick.
- Roger Domeneghetti (2017) (Re)presentations of femininity in the English Press during Euro 2016, Critical Event Studies and the Politics of Gender Symposium, Edinburgh.
- Steve Jones: "Wild Justice: Revenge in Contemporary American Cinema", invited public lecture, Kurja Polt Film Festival, Slovenia
- Massimo Ragnedda (2017) “The Rise of the Digital Capital and its Relation with the Third Level of Digital Divide”, IAMCR, Cartagena, Colombia.
- Massimo Ragnedda (2017) “The Three Levels of Digital Divide”, Università della Svizzera Italiana, Lugano.
- Massimo Ragnedda (2017) “A Weberian Analysis of Digital Inequalities”, Kaplan, Singapore.
- Sarah Ralph (2017) “Queen Bee: Tina Fey and the Enduring Resonance and Cultural Reception of Mean Girls”, SCMS conference.
- Sarah Ralph (2017) “Book launch and Panel: The Politics of Funny Women”, Birmingham City University.
- Sarah Ralph (2017) “‘Girl-Fighting’ to ‘Sisterhood’: Negotiating Femininity and Friendship in (and Through) Popular Girl Culture”, North East Film & TV Network.
- Johnny Walker (2017) “The Way to Blockbuster: the Birth of the British Video Superstore”, King’s College London, Seminar Series.
- Johnny Walker (2017) “Keynote: Making and Marketing Exploitation Cinema in the Early 2000s”, Exploitation Cinema in the Twenty First Century, Canterbury Christ Church University.
- Johnny Walker (2017) “Award-winning Sex Sells: British Adult Video's Quest for Quality, 1978-85”, Screen, University of Glasgow.
- Johnny Walker (2017) Plenary panel member, Transnational Monstrosity in Popular Culture, York St John University.